Physicians for Social Responsibility Maine Chapter
Opening for Half-Time Executive Director
PSR Maine, the statewide chapter of the national nonprofit Physicians for Social Responsibility, is seeking a 20-hour-per-week Executive Director.
PSR Maine is a well-respected nonprofit organization with over 3,000 members and supporters statewide celebrating 40 years of working to promote a healthy, just, secure, and sustainable world. We bring a science-based approach to public health advocacy. Our current program areas focus on the elimination of nuclear weapons (our core and founding area), the slowing of climate change, and reduction and elimination of toxic chemicals. We are an organization of health professionals and advocates that has long-standing collaborative relationships with other progressive advocacy organizations.
The ideal candidate for the position will be an energetic and creative individual who is a strategic thinker; skilled in governance, fundraising, management, and organizing. The candidate should have interest in our programmatic areas and be willing to learn and support that work.
Benefits include generous vacation/personal time and home office support.
We expect to hire mid-October. Position pays $22.00 to start plus home office stipend.
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the organization, including project and program oversight for all board committees
- Research, coordinate and carry-out fundraising efforts, including grant writing and member solicitations
- Coordinate PSR Maine Board and committee meetings
- Attend meetings with coalition partners as appropriate
- Support the Board with information and materials necessary to perform its leadership role
- Recruit and coordinate the participation of chapter volunteers
- Monitor and manage the website and social media
- Represent PSR Maine as media spokesperson and at public hearings as appropriate
- Outreach to member activists
- Supervise contracted employees and volunteers
- Design and compose regular communications with membership
- Maintain and update databases
- Manage communication with state coalition partners and national PSR office
- Work with chapter treasurer and the board to create and track adherence to annual budget
- Report directly to PSR Maine board president
- Communicate to executive committee and board on a regular basis
- Follow and create with committees and board annual work plans
- Have or be able to set up a home office
- A plus – understanding of and ability to file 990EZ
- Maine resident or planned move to Maine by beginning 2022
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and preferred 2-3 years’ experience in the nonprofit sector
- Understanding of nonprofit governance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Public speaking skills
- Fundraising and grant writing experience
- Experience leading large groups and/or coalitions
- Grass-roots organizing experience
- Familiarity with typical office software and CRM and/or database management and advocacy software
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Strongly self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Understanding of political advocacy, lobbying, and 501c3 requirements
Please attach a cover letter, resume, two non-academic writing samples and contact info for three professional references to an email headed “ED position.” Send to Karen@psrmaine.org. All documents must be in PDF format.
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule interviews.
Application deadline September 6, 2021. Expected hire by mid-October.